List ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.
Bearing in mind that I don't own an iPod and can't listen to music at work, here we go...
1. I'll Tell Me Ma, preferred version by the Flying Fish Sailors. One of the things they don't tell you about parenthood is the vast number of earworms you get from all of the baby objects that play music. If I never hear "Skip To My Lou" or "Polly Wolly Doodle" ever again, it'll be too soon. Your best line of defense is the realization that old-fashioned folk music is not only (usually) appropriate for kids and always easier on adult brains, it's also generally easy for adults and kids to sing along to. I've been singing this one to Olivia, which she seems to like.
3. and 4. Dizzy Atmosphere and Chameleon, by Dizzy Gillespie and Maynard Ferguson, respectively. Both were songs I learned while playing in bands conducted by Laurence Laurenzano. They've both been going through my head a lot since his death.
5. and 6. Fall Behind Me and Heaven, by The Donnas and Los Lonely Boys, respectively. Two songs I discovered when I first started listening to 89.7 KACC and began to realize how much else is out there once you escape the world of demographically appropriate radio formats.
9. Stayin' Alive, The Bee Gees. It's Tiffany's fault - she watched an A&E biography of the Bee Gees last night. Actually, it reminded me of how talented these guys were, and how massively successful as well. Of course, I still think of the parody of this from Airplane! when I hear this song, but I consider that a bonus.
10. Any of the 40 Most Awesomely Bad Dirrty Songs Ever, which had Tiffany and me in stitches last week.Posted by Charles Kuffner on July 30, 2005 to Music | TrackBack