Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on how to spend my $15 iTunes gift card. I've bought ten songs so far, and since Michael asked in the comments what I bought, I thought I'd post an update. Here's what I got:
- Four songs by the Asylum Street Spankers - yes, I'm a completist: "I Am My Own Grandpa", "Funnel of Love", "Stinkin'", and "Goodbye, Cousin Early".
- "White Rabbit", by the Austin Lounge Lizards. Who knew there was so much not-on-CD music by my favorite artists out there? I know, I know, "everyone currently living in the 21st century". Humor me, OK? And may I say, nothing says psychedelia quite like some mad banjo-pickin'.
- "Vehicle", by the Ides of March. One of my favorite songs of all time, a staple of the MOB's repertoire, and which up until a couple of years ago I'd have bet my house had been done by Blood, Sweat, and Tears. Shows how much I know.
- "The Underdog", by Spoon. Recommended by the Chronicle and Chad Orzel. How could I go wrong? Taking some excellent advice from the comments to my initial post, I found it on YouTube and dug it, so I bought it. And they're a Texas band, too. Sweet.
- "LDN", by Lily Allen. My thanks to Mark Bankston for the recommendation.
- "Metro", by the Vincent Black Shadow. Olivia likes it, and so do I.
- "Fall Behind Me", by The Donnas. A song I discovered when I started tuning into KACC.
That's it so far. I received several recommendations for CDs, and I decided I'll spend a little of my Christmas money at the revitalized Cactus Records on some of those. On my wish list: "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse; "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes; the Springsteen/Seeger Sessions thing; maybe the "Knocked Up" soundtrack and the Once soundtrack (thanks, Matt); and there's still more stuff to check out from the comments. Oh, and a visit to Wasted Talent to fill that Judy's-sized hole in my collection, too. I'll let you know when I'm finished. Thanks again to all for the feedback.Posted by Charles Kuffner on January 01, 2008 to Music