Is it Friday already? Why, yes, it is. Time for some random music!
1. "I'm My Own Grandpa" - Asylum Street Spankers. I was musing about whether this was a song that came from someone's actual real-life experience, or if it was just a flight of fancy, and came across this little treatise, which tells me the answer is a little bit of Yes to each. My God, I love the Internet.
2. "Jim Dandy" - Black Oak Arkansas. And while I was on that train of thought, this song started playing, and I started wondering about the origin of that phrase. Apparently, it has its roots in baseball. Who knew?
3. "Blister in the Sun" - Violent Femmes. From the soundtrack to the movie Grosse Pointe Blank. I'd argue this was the beginning of the 80s music nostalgia craze. If only the playlists for 80s music radio stations were as good as this.
4. "Skokiaan" - Bill Haley and the Comets. And now that 80s music is the new oldies, I wonder if Classic Oldies like this will have a place on the radio any more. I think you can still find it on the digital cable music channels, at least.
5. "One" - Eddie From Ohio. What happens when a couple gets a little too close to each other.
6. "I'm Bad Like Jesse James" - John Lee Hooker. I'd believe him if I were you.
7. "Cool for Cats" - Squeeze. Dedicated to Rob Booth, the biggest Squeeze fan in the city.
8. "Daisy" - The Go Gos. And since I've mentioned 80s music twice, I'll point out yet again that there isn't a single station in the country that will play both the classic Go Gos tunes from the 80s as well as anything from their latest release. This has never made sense to me.
9. "He Moved Through The Fair" - Paisley Close. I have at least four versions of this song. Nothing deliberate, mind you, it's just very widely covered.
10. "Friend Is A Four-Letter Word" - CAKE. They're coming to (near) Austin soon. I'm so jealous.
Have a random day!Posted by Charles Kuffner on April 04, 2008 to Music