Monday is the deadline to register to vote in the March 4 primary. I think it goes without saying that this is the biggest and most important primary we've seen in a generation in Texas, and that's regardless of the status of the Presidential races. If you haven't registered yet, or recently moved and need to re-register, here's an announcement from HoustonVotes.org:
Houston Votes, a collaborative partnership of organizations and individuals strengthening the voice of Houston through voter registration, will be registering voters at more than a dozen locations across Houston on Saturday Feb. 2nd and Monday Feb. 4th. List of locations and times is attached and can be found at Houstonvotes.org.
Houstonians who plan to vote in Texas' historical Presidential primary on March 4th in either the Republican or Democratic Party must register by February 4th. Harris County residents can register by visiting any of the Houston Votes community registration sites.
UPDATE: More from the Chron:
- Those with active voter registrations do not have to register again. Updated registration cards were mailed to voters in early January.
- To register, fill out a voter registration card at state agency buildings, county court annexes, public libraries and marriage license offices. Or download a registration form at the Harris County Tax Office Web site -- www.tax.co.harris.tx.us -- and mail it postage-free by Monday.
- Not sure if you are registered? Use the Web site to see if your name is already on the voter rolls.
- Information required on a registration card is name, address and an identifying number such as a driver's license number or the last four digits of a Social Security number. Applications are available in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.
- In Harris County, call the Voter Registration Department at 713-368-VOTE (8683) for more information.
- Texas does not register voters by party affiliation. Voters can participate in a major party primary of their choice regardless of how or whether they voted in the past.
- In-person early voting starts Feb. 19.
Participating Organizations:Posted by Charles Kuffner on February 02, 2008 to Election 2008
* ACLU - Texas
* Black Youth Vote!
* Equality Texas
* Houston GLBT Political Caucus
* League of Women Voters - Houston
* NARAL Pro-Choice Texas
* People for the American Way
* Planned Parenthood Houston
* Texas Freedom Network
* Texans Together
Houston Votes Voter Registration Sites
Saturday and Monday
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
11242 S. Gessner @ Belfort
Wal-Mart Neighbourhood Mkt #3578 (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
7960 Longpoint@ Wirt Rd.
Wal-Mart Spr Ctr. (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
2700 S. Kirkwood Drive
Wal-Mart Spr Ctr.#3302 (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
9460 W. Sam Houston Toll
Between Beechnut & Bissonnet
Wal-Mart Super Center (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
10750 Westview @ Beltway 8
Foodarama (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
11502 Wilcrest Dr.
Work Source (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
Wal-Mart Super Center.# 1279 (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
10411 N Fwy, 45
Alief Community Park (Sat. 10am - 6pm; Mon. 10am - 9pm)
11903 Bellaire Blvd.
Hong Kong City Market (Sat. & Mon. 10am - 6pm)
11205 Bellaire Blvd
Breakfast Klub (Monday 7am-7pm)
Houston Community College -Alief (Monday 11 - 6pm)
University of Houston
Butler Plaza, Located just outside the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library @ University Drive
Time TBD, check HoustonVotes.org for update
Prairie View A&M
MSC Building (Monday 8am - 5pm)
Wal-Mart Super Center (Saturday 10am - 6pm)
3506 S. Hwy 6 (outside)
Wal-Mart Super Center (Saturday 10am- 6pm)
9460 W. Sam Houston Toll (Between Beechnut & Bissonnet)
Food Town (Saturday (10am - 6pm)
12655 Bissonnet (Alief)
Aldine Flea Market (Saturday)
658 Aldine Mail Rt, 77037 (Aldine)
North East Houston Community Center (Saturday 10am - 6pm)
205 W. Crosstimbers, Ste 180
Katy Community Center (Saturday 10am - 6pm)
Work Source - I10 and Fry Road
Hennington Alief Reg Library (Saturday 10:30am - Noon)
7979 S. Kirkwood Rd.