1. When I’m 25 or 64 – Jonathan Coulton
2. Section 29 – The Polyphonic Spree
3. Smells Like Thirty-Something – Asylum Street Spankers
4. 36 Lovers – Ready For The World
5. 40 – U2
6. Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover – Paul Simon
7. 52 Girls – The B-52’s
8. 57 Channels (And Nothin’ On) – Bruce Springsteen
9. Route 66 – Lager Rhythms
10. Texas 71 – Magnolia Electric Co.
Needless to say, it starts to get tougher the higher you go. How high can you count on your iPod?
Entire song list report: Started with “Light Up My Room”, by the Barenaked Ladies. Finished with “Locomotive Breath”, by Jethro Tull, song #2976, for a total of 94 tunes this week.
Ripping vinyl report: This week I went old school, literally. I have in my collection a pair of early-80s records by the Rice University Marching Owl Band, a/k/a The MOB, featuring halftime and timeout music they’d play on the field and in the stands for football games. Back then, the selections leaned heavily towards show and movie tunes – the two albums have excerpts from things like “The Wiz”, “Porgy and Bess”, “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas”, “E.T.”, and “Fame”. Today’s MOB draws much more heavily from popular music, though some of these oldies still pop up occasionally. It was a trip listening to it all, that’s for sure.