So I was reading this FireDogLake post that used the movie “The Wizard of Oz” as a metaphor for the changing of the guard in Washington, DC, and it got me to thinking about how I can’t wait till my girls are old enough for that movie so I can watch it with them. I remember how much I looked forward to that film’s annual airing on TV, back in the Stone Age days when that was our only option for viewing a favorite movie. Anyway, based on the warm fuzzy feelings I got from that spate of nostalgia, here’s a list of the Top Ten movies I’m looking forward to watching with Olivia and Audrey some day:
1. The Wizard of Oz. – I just hope the flying monkeys don’t freak them out as much as they did me.
2. Miracle on 34th Street – The original, of course. I love me some “It’s A Wonderful Life”, but this one is my favorite Christmas movie of them all.
3. A Christmas Story – And this is the first runnerup behind “Miracle”.
4. Star Wars – I wonder if they’ll love Han Solo as much as Tiffany does.
5. The Princess Bride – Some of these movies are here just to ensure they get the references I make to them. Well, that and the fact that they’re great movies.
6. Better Off Dead – This one will have to wait a little longer, but that’s okay.
7. Snow White – I could pick just about any classic Disney animated movie here (other than “Bambi”, which is a movie I do not want them to watch any time soon), but we’ll start with this one.
8. The Sound of Music – Yeah, I like musicals. Deal with it.
9. It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World – We recently watched the episode of “The Muppet Show” that had Ethel Merman as the guest star. She stole every scene she played in this movie, no mean feat given the vast amount of star power it contained.
10. The Harry Potter movies – And the accompanying books will be on the list of books I can’t wait to read with the girls, along with “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”. But that’s a list for another day.
So. What movies have you enjoyed/do you plan to enjoy with your kids? Let me know.